Meet Dan: A catalyst for results and a lover of metrics.
Dan joined us in 2020, and as director of administration, property management, and business development, he wears a lot of hats at Signal Works. From recruitment to IT to accounting, Dan makes sure each aspect of Signal Works is doing its job well. He also has a deep and abiding love of metrics and using numbers to orchestrate results.
Before Signal Works, Dan worked his way up to managing director with the world’s oldest and largest investigations and security firm. Additionally, he has been an EMT, lecturer, and investigator, and has a degree in journalism. A man with many hats, indeed.
While you won’t work with him on any design projects at the firm, you can guarantee that Dan is behind the scenes, making all of the parts and pieces work and fit together like a well-oiled machine.
We sat down with Dan for a few minutes and got his perspective on place, work, and the design process.
Where is your favorite place?
Cape Cod and the beach will always hold a special place in my heart. It’s where my family spent time every summer and where I learned how to sail.
What makes Rhode Island unique to you?
I love the extremes of the city and nature, which makes Rhode Island such a special place, and abhor the suburbs between. I can live and work in the city, and a 10- to 15-minute bike or car ride will have me in fields, forests, or beaches.
What’s one principle you live by?
Whether it’s within business or outside in the world, I want to leave things better than I found them. It’s an intentionally big statement and encompasses what I can affect, whether it’s the community, a building, the natural environment, or a business process. This perspective also allows me to learn and experience a wide range of people, places, and things, which is something else about which I am passionate.
What’s your favorite part of the design process?
I most enjoy the pieces of the project lifecycle that cross over between functional roles. These are usually the most ambiguous and chaotic, and present the largest challenge to smooth and efficient operations. Working through these with stakeholders, establishing clear channels of communication, efficient processes and systems, and then measuring the results to see the amount of positive change we’ve effected is the most satisfying part of any project.
You have some pretty interesting accolades. Can we mention them?
- Participated in United Nations (UN) working groups in Geneva, Switzerland, and conducted group and individual presentations on the practical application of our proprietary technology.
- Project managed the development and implementation of SaaS, mobile, GPS, and other technology-driven intelligence services, including US patent number US9503464B2.
Thanks for your time, Dan!
Dan’s just one piece of our experienced team. If you’d like to talk to us about starting a project, call us at 401.400.ARCH or email us at email@example.com.
- Meet Kelsey: Designing with future generations in mind.
- Meet Dan: A catalyst for results and a lover of metrics.
- The Outdoor Challenge: creating outdoor spaces people love and use.
- How your building project can help your people thrive.
- Meet Bryan: An efficient project manager and architect focused on legacy.